- Carl Nixon 20 Fish Caught 898 Fish Points 4 Place Points
[2022 Rivers National Champion]
- Stan Moore 20 Fish Caught 828 Fish Points 7 Place Points
- Gavin Walsh 13 Fish Caught 545 Fish Points 8 Place Points
- Cameron Craigs 21 Fish Caught 885 Fish Points 10 Place Points
- Dan Scott Paul 19 Fish Caught 774 Fish Points 10 Place Points
- Brian Lillie 12 Fish Caught 509 Fish Points 10 Place Points
The Angling Trust reports: Thirty qualifying anglers arrived at High Force Hotel, River Tees on Saturday 3rd for two days of competition. Each angler had four timed sessions over the weekend, during which they must catch as many 18cms-plus trout and grayling as they can. Consistency is paramount and quite a task as each session lasts no more than ninety minutes.
With little rain or steady conditions running up to, and forecast of low pressure and high winds over the weekend, pre-match musing was of a difficult comp ahead, expecting low numbers of fish and finding them early would be imperative. Luckily, the weather was better than expected, with a helpful predominantly upstream wind with cloud cover on the Saturday, and a drop in wind with mixed cloud cover on the Sunday.
Fish fell to both dry fly and tight line nymphing tactics, once located. Look out for a full report on this on the AT Comps webpage shortly, and a couple of debrief reports from selected competitors.
Congratulations to the 2022 National Rivers Champion Carl Nixon, runner-up Stan Moore, and Bronze-placed Gavin Walsh. Well done Cameron Craigs, Dan Scott, and Brian Lillie for achieving their squad places too. Well done all the anglers who qualified and a final thanks to Paul Page & Peter Scholes for organising a splendid event.